November 1, 2010

The Move to DC

Well, I made it to DC. I arrived Thursday night and went to my hotel downtown, where I ate dinner and went to sleep. Luckily, the apartment complex had my unit ready early, so I was able to get in shortly after noon on Friday! Here's what it looks like (empty of course):

Kitchen

Bedroom

Bathroom

Part of the living/dining room (there's more around the corner of the kitchen too)

Sunset from my window (complete with glare off the glass!)


I ventured out to Target (which is about 10 minutes away via Metro) and to Safeway (about a 15 minute walk, or 2 minute Metro ride) that afternoon to pick up some food and essentials. Chris arrived with Wally at about 10:30pm. Wally did surprisingly well this week with the temporary move to Matt's with Chris and then the flight to DC. He was curious about everything when he got to the apartment. Chris bought a great air mattress in St. Louis and brought it with him for me to sleep on until my bed gets here. So we inflated that and went to sleep.

Saturday was busy – we went to the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, which was entertaining.

People watching from dumpsters...

and the tops of Porta-Potties



'They told me this was Disneyland'



Then we had our first Zipcar experience, which went very well. We picked up a truck nearby the apartment and drove out to the Ikea in College Park, MD to pick up a chair and sofa and a few other small things. We got everything back and unloaded and returned the car on time. All in all, a good experience. I witnessed a fight on the Metro on the way back from dropping the car off, so now I know what to do in an emergency on the train. We assembled our furniture and went to bed.

Sunday morning we got up to go to Founding Farmers (Chris's favorite restaurant in DC so far) for breakfast. We shared some donut holes and I had a HUGE bowl of oatmeal. Delicious!! Then we walked along the waterfront by the apartment before stopping by Safeway again so I could take advantage of Chris's presence to buy lots of groceries.

Then Chris went home :( It was a very sad night...not having anything in the apartment compounds how bad being alone is. USAID tells me I won't be getting my shipment this week – boo! So hopefully they'll give me time off to have my things delivered since they only do deliveries during the week. Next week maybe...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment