November 21, 2010

Lovely weekend

Week 2 of training seemed to drag along for some reason. On Wednesday, we went out to the Foreign Service Institute in Arlington. It was fairly interesting - learned more about medical services overseas at post, educational options for your kids, and what kind of resources are available to families overseas. They definitely take excellent care of foreign service officers and their families. We had another happy hour over in Rosslyn afterwards, which was fun. Thursday and Friday we did some group projects and heard about a few more programs and benefits.

Yesterday I decided to go out and see a movie by myself, so I saw Morning Glory, which I really enjoyed. Afterwards I took a quick trip down to Filene's Basement and found myself a pair of flat black boots, which I think will officially allow me to fit in in this city. I got home and made myself a real home-cooked meal. 
Yummy chicken pot pie!
I had to improvise since I don't have any baking dishes yet, but luckily the skillet I bought was oven-safe, so it worked out just fine.

In other news, tomorrow morning I go to Manassas, VA to access my storage unit and sort out what's coming to the apartment. They'll deliver Tuesday at noon! I'm going to have to recruit some help to put my bed together and move some things around...we'll see how successful I am with that.

Also, Wally now insists on sleeping under the covers with me. It's cute, but annoying...




   














Wally is spoiled!!
I don't know what he's going to do when I'm away for four days at Thanksgiving....

I also got a very nice package in the mail yesterday from my friends, Chuck and Cris France! 


I'm particularly excited about using the Star Wars bandaids...and being able to open the bottle of wine when my stuff gets here on Tuesday!



Today brings cleaning in preparation for the delivery, grocery shopping, and dinner at a Vietnamese place with my friend DaNita, who works for NCGA here in DC. Should be a nice end to a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment