November 9, 2010

Random Tidbits from DLI Training

Today they gave us a list of stats on our class...almost 50/50 male to female ratio. Ag is the second-largest group with 9 DLIs – 3 mid-levels and 6 junior officers (second only to financial managers, because apparently USAID has not had its own budgeting system for something like 6 years and is now rebuilding). 

After the first 5 weeks of training, we split off to do training for our particular focus area, but then we do Individualized Development Programs for the rest of our time here. As far as I can tell, myself and two others in the Ag group don't have extensive world travels (and, coincidently are the only non-Peace Corps volunteers). I'm going to put myself at 10 months total in DC.

On December 10th, we have a flag ceremony. The administrator is supposed to be there to give us the flag of the country we're going to. So I'll know where I'm going in 5 weeks. I'll start taking bets soon.

I don't get my first paycheck until December 2nd. I am very poor at the moment.

We have cubbies, like in kindergarten. Mine is blue – very exciting!

The government pays for us to take public transportation to and from work...that'll add up to an extra $21 each week for me. Nice perk.

Tomorrow I have to pick a health insurance plan....there are something like 15 options and I am overwhelmed. Also have to pick dental, vision, life and disability coverage. I haven't even looked at those options yet.

I can make it home from work in 15 minutes...which is nice because the view of the sunset if beautiful from my apartment.

First DLI happy hour is tomorrow. (I miss happy hour with my NCGA coworkers...we'll see how this new group is).

No comments:

Post a Comment