November 14, 2010

First week = Done!

So I've made it through a week of training and feel like I'm learning a lot. The first three days or so was all about benefits and taking care of paperwork. Did you know that there are 207 health care plans available to government employees? It's overwhelming. Luckily, foreign service officers have a unique opportunity because we can change our plan every time our permanent duty station changes (ie, when they send us overseas and when we come back to the US) in addition to the yearly open-enrollment season and other typical qualifying life events. I'm pretty sure I chose a good plan, but if I am unhappy, I'll be able to change soon enough.

We had a DLI 15 happy hour on Wednesday night at The Laughing Man Tavern, which is just a couple blocks from the Reagan building. We have a fun, social group of people in the class, so it was fun to get to know some of them better. On Thursday I was off for Veterans' Day. I spent the day ironing and hanging up all my clothes...sounds awful, I know, but I was so happy to do it! And Saturday night I met with the sister of a former coworker and her husband for dinner downtown. It was so nice to have a conversation with someone outside of training! Hopefully we'll hang out again in the next couple months before they move away.

It was a gorgeous weekend here...mid 60's and sunny. I walked down to the grocery store this afternoon, which was so nice. I rode the Metro back, of course, because I can't haul all those groceries on a 20 minute walk.

Oh, and the best news, I have wireless in my apartment now! I feel like part of civilization again. Hopefully I'll be blogging more in the future since it'll be more convenient that having to go down to the common areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment