December 31, 2010

Watch out DC-Area Businesses - I'm on Yelp!

So, two things today inspired me to join Yelp!

1)   I desperately need a haircut, but I'm terrified of choosing a new stylist. So, I turned to Yelp and went with someone who had great reviews. I'm looking forward to my haircut with Marsha at Tracy & Company salon next Saturday. I will definitely review my experience.

2)   I've been ordering groceries online from Safeway since I moved here. The first few experiences were okay...a few problems that I was willing to overlook in the name of convenience. That changed today.

I typically order all my heavy stuff to be delivered - cat food, cat litter, cases of soda, canned goods, etc. - about once a month. Well, I placed my order yesterday to be delivered today and there was only one time slot available, noon-1pm. A one-hour time slot runs you $12.95, but I decided it was worth it since I was stocking up on everything and probably won't need to order again for awhile. So, I'm waiting  at noon for them to come, and at 12:25 I get a call from the driver. He informs me that the store hasn't even pulled the orders for today and he can't guarantee when he'll be able to deliver. If I have any questions or want to cancel, I need to call customer service.

Since I had no plans anyway (I'm sick and staying home), I figured I'd let them go ahead and deliver whenever today. But at 3:45pm, still no groceries and I'm getting impatient. So I call customer service to see what's up. She tells me that the driver is unexpectedly running 3-4 hours behind on deliveries - well, no crap! No offer to refund the delivery fee or anything until I start complaining about how useless a service their delivery is if they don't get there even close to when I'm paying them to get there. She explains that it was unexpected delays, blah, blah - well of course it's unexpected! If you expected it, you wouldn't have offered me the option of a one hour delivery window from noon-1 today! It's 4:30pm now and still no groceries. Needless to say, I'm going to attempt to avoid shopping at Safeway now and decided to make my dissatisfaction known.

Thus, I will now review everything on Yelp! My Safeway review is already there, and I'm going to make an effort to write honest reviews of all the places I visit while in DC, because I know I use the site to find good companies too.


No comments:

Post a Comment